Here's a question to ask yourself. Do you have a training strategy? If so, how effective is it? If you are dealing with daily errors (or just really big errors), roadblocks, losing good staff members, and new hires constantly needing your attention, this may be worth thinking more about.
Having an effective training strategy can improve business operations through:
- Improving customer service
- Speeding up the onboarding of new team members
- Improving staff retention
- Fewer mistakes from ineffective training
This is why we recommend a mobile first approach. It's much more effective than other training strategies. You may not be familiar with "Mobile first", but it's gaining momentum and being implemented in the most successful and fastest growing companies. Starbucks, Croc's, and Talbot's have all implemented it through the PlayerLync LMS (Learning Management System).
What is a Mobile First approach? It's designing first for mobile devices. The smallest screen option is designed first, and then the design flexes larger from there. This is critical to make sure your training materials are not only available online, but more importantly, they are easily viewed on a mobile device.
How is it more effective?
- Seamless delivery. It can be in the trainees hands instantly. This instant access is critical. Attention spans are shorter now than ever. The average human can focus for about eight seconds on a single concept. If you mention a training detail or content that needs to be reviewed, it is more likely to be looked at if it's available at your trainees fingertips.
- Interactivity. Mobile Learning Management Systems like PlayerLync are interactive, which improves memory and recall by incorporating multiple learning styles within one training system. They can read a PDF, watch a training video, or take a quiz. All of these types of content are designed "mobile first".
- Better feedback for trainers. Speaking of quizzes, your trainers would probably appreciate being able to administers quizzes to see if their training was effective. They can check this information from the convenience of their own phone or device.
- Automatic Synchronization. A mobile first design ensures that the content is updated automatically, so that small detail doesn't cause a big problem.
- Easy updates. PlayerLync "mobile first" content is easy to update, which is important in an industry that's always changing (products, features, specs, ingredients, etc).
- An easier training experience. This benefit is pretty simple. If it's easier to complete (easy access), your staff members are more likely to do it. A handbook may get lost in the shuffle of stuffed in the backseat of their car. A bulletin board may get rushed past. A meeting may get cancelled or skipped. Conversely, a mobile first training program let's staff complete training in real time.
Training is critical to your business, and you know this. You spend time on training regularly, and you might as well make it count.
Download our guide for more critical information, such as:
- the challenges and limitations of delivering exceptional content
- realistic drawbacks to consider of having a LMS learning management system in place
- advantages of a mobile first learning environment